Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Response to 1900-1950 History of Schools

I was fascinated to learn about the history of standardized testing in schools between 1900 and 1950. Entire educational history, from Dewey to the experiential schools to Sputnik, is really cool to me. It’s really interesting to look at all of the things in schools – what I like, what I hate – and see what the circumstances were that led to the institutionalization of those elements. Of course I’m not surprised, for instance, that in the midst of World War I, students were encouraged to speak only English and to burn German-language books. No matter what the issue of the day is, people are passionate about it. The thing that really struck me about the documentary, however, is that when I go out into the school, simply by teaching and doing my job, I will be contributing to the future “history of education.” This is all the more reason to be deliberate in everything I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment