Thursday, October 14, 2010

Response to "Rejuvenation"

Rejuvenation

This reading had a lot more great moments for me than any of the Teaching Hope segments so far. A lot of them were solely about the teachers’ experiences, and many of those had some great introspection. However, the chapters that most reached me were the ones where individual students had really great breakthroughs.  After the last segment, I needed a collection of refreshing and heartwarming stories. Number 120 with Tara, the girl who was afraid to be in the Public Speaking class, was really nice to read. Another one that I really enjoyed the themes of was 112, which dealt with Max, the boy who assaulted his teacher. The forgiveness and understanding that the teacher shows is really admirable to me – I firmly believe in as many second chances as it takes to make a breakthrough, and the teacher really captured that well. 127 also really got to me, about Manie, the boy whose family was upset that he was visiting the Holocaust Museum. Watching a single breakthrough must be the most awe-inspiring thing, and although I haven’t seen anything like this at my summer camp quite yet, I certainly hope to experience this sometime soon in a classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment